Monday, February 6, 2012

The end (?) dun dun duuunnnnn

The idea of this thing was to try to document what it's like to start out in comedy for a new person, as someone who knows nothing about what they're doing. There are 3 separate entries that I'm currently working on, and they're all dumb. To clarify, all of my posts are at least a little stupid, but I'm becoming more aware of it. It's the difference between being dumb and knowing that I'm dumb. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, I have known unknowns.

My perspectives aren't purely naive perspectives (take a drink), they're now partially naive. I've noticed that the school analogy often gets used. I'd say that I've finished with orientation, and am ready to start going to school as a freshman. I see the look of fear on a first timer and think "oh yeah, I remember feeling like that".  I've even given advice, at least the best I'm capable of, which isn't much, but it's something. I've bombed, gotten laughs, and everything in between. My point is that I don't have the exact same viewpoint of someone just starting out, so I don't think I can capture that anymore. That's why I'd say that the original intent/mission of this thing is over or maybe fulfilled.

In other words, I can't relate the thoughts of a newborn baby, which was what I was originally essentially trying to do. Nor do I have enough experience or perspective to offer anything of actual value to the comedy community through this thing. No one really cares what I think. I'm an annoying 2 year old. Sure, I can walk and talk, but mostly I just make a mess, sometimes in my pants, and speak useless nonsense.

So I'm at a crossroads. Do I end this blog, or not?  I lean towards not. Why? Why not, is my answer. But I'll be going beyond what I originally intended, just writing whatever I want, reviews, musings, ideas, whatever. It'll still be dumb, but at least I'll kind of know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment